How to choose a VPS?
Get started with a few popular VPS choices:
- Amazon - https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/pricing/
- DigitalOcean - https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/
- UpCloud - https://upcloud.com/pricing/
- Vultr - https://www.vultr.com/products/cloud-compute/
- Alibaba Cloud - https://www.alibabacloud.com/product/ecs#pricing
- Google Cloud - https://cloud.google.com/products/calculator
- Microsoft Azure - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/
Find more via a comparison calculator - https://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/screener
Recommendations from experienced validators:
Consider the price of cheap services that offer same specs as other providers at half of the price, when running a validator - the protocol dynamically phases out low performance nodes, which will lead to fewer returns for operators.
What if I have Windows?
Use a virtualization service to deploy a virtual Linux server on your Windows machine. This setup is recommended for testing purposes only. Try this tutorial, for example: https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-in-virtualbox/